I have learnt over my wonderful years as a petcarer extraordinaire 🙂 that the one most important thing for the pet owner is to give clear instructions; for the petcarer it’s to follow them. This doesn’t seem like rocket science, but I can tell you, so many times there are possible misunderstandings due to small details: it’s comparable to leaving a message on an answering machine- spell out the numbers very clearly if you want the receiver to call you!
Anyway here are a few tips to consider when instructing someone:
1) Keep it all in one email/text: dates, what expected, how many visits, times of visits, where to leave the key once finished the assignment etc., much easier for your petcarer to have a clear reference point. There are things that are more or less important for each individual; it’s important not to be shy and to clearly state, for example take the rubbish out, litter, food etc. A good petcarer will respect your wishes!
2) Dates should always clearly spelled out, example 01/07 to 07/07. Talking about Saturday-Monday may be confusing. I swear to you it has happened! Also make sure the date are 100% correct 🙂
3) Things in writing are always clearer. If you have agreed in person, reconfirm in writing!
4) Make sure the key works. Copies can be tricky! It has happened to me that I couldn’t actually open the door with a key I had been given! Massively important 🙂
5) Finally, but perhaps most importantly, it’s good to perhaps give your petcarer a call/text/email to see how things are going. Invariably all will be well, but it’s good to hear that 🙂
I hope this helps!